Date:      Thu, 27 Jan 2000 02:05:27 -0500
From:      Peter Radcliffe <pir@pir.net>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Warner's PCI Modem Driver

Dan Zerkle <zerkle@home.com> probably said:
> I believe that they were bought by 3COM a few years back.  I also
> believe that they *invented* winmodems, so be careful.

Pretty much, yes.

> That said, the modem I got from them was just fine.  I did have to
> revert to Windows to flash its ROM's, though.

I am a _big_ fan of external USR couriers, their top of the line modem.

They are _not_ cheap, but for me they are worth it because of the
saved hassle because they pretty much just work and being flash
upgradable essentially forever (14.4k couriers can be upgraded to
V.90).

I like the external models since I can move them between machines
easily (and use them on non-PCs) as well as being able to reset them
without rebooting the machine.

Never bought another modem ...

P.

--