Date:      Sun, 24 Feb 2013 22:45:02 -0800
From:      Jeremy Chadwick <jdc@koitsu.org>
To:        rfg@tristatelogic.com
Cc:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Hard drive device names... Serial Numbers?

(Please keep me CC'd as I am not subscribed to freebsd-fs@)

This topic has been discussed at length before, and recently,
particularly between Warren Block and myself.  The thread, which you can
read time permitting (kind of scattered between two lists, sorry):

http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-fs/2013-January/016237.html
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-stable/2013-January/071900.html

The answer -- and I am hard set on this and will not bend, so anyone
considering arguing with me on it should just save their breath -- is to
use the "wiring down" or "wired down" capability of CAM(4) to ensure you
get static device numbers for your disks (across multiple controllers
too).  You can then add/remove whatever you want and the numbers will
remain the same/however you declared them in /boot/loader.conf.

How to do that (references):

http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-stable/2013-January/071851.html
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-fs/2011-March/011036.html
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-fs/2012-June/014522.html

Also see the CAM(4) man page for some details.

It becomes a little more tricky depending on what controllers you have.
All you have to do is spend some time paying very close attention to the
dmesg output and working it out.  Some reboots later you'll have it, and
you won't have to touch it/change it.  It's a one-time deal, and saves
you all the pain and idiocy that labels introduce (I explain what those
are in the initially-mentioned thread).

Footnote: I have tried mailing you 3 separate times in the past about
separate subjects and your mail server (server1.tristatelogic.com)
intentionally rejects mail (550 5.7.1) from Comcast's SMTP servers.  I
gave up trying to contact you after repeated attempts.  Example:

> Reporting-MTA: dns; qmta01.emeryville.ca.mail.comcast.net [76.96.30.16]
> Received-From-MTA: dns; omta05.emeryville.ca.mail.comcast.net [76.96.30.43]
> Arrival-Date: Fri, 07 Dec 2012 15:07:11 +0000
> Final-recipient: rfc822; rfg@tristatelogic.com
> Action: failed
> Diagnostic-Code: smtp; 550 5.7.1 <qmta01.emeryville.ca.mail.comcast.net[76.96.30.16]>: Client host rejected: emeryville.ca.mail.comcast.net is BLACKLISTED - Use http://www.tristatelogic.com/contact.html
> Last-attempt-Date: Fri, 07 Dec 2012 15:07:13 +0000

If you have a problem with Comcast's mail servers, I can refer you to
lots of different people on the Comcast side who can help with that; I'd
be happy to talk to you off-list about it (but you'd have to release
that blockage to actually see my responses to you, naturally).

If this is a side effect of using DNSBLs and you need a DNSWL
(whitelist),, you might look into dnswl.org.  I stopped using them in
2012 given some changes of theirs which I did not agree with, but those
reasons were my own and were of an "administrative annoyance" nature.

--
| Jeremy Chadwick                                   jdc@koitsu.org |
| Mountain View, CA, US                                            |