Date:      Tue, 8 Feb 2005 21:22:03 -0800
From:      "Loren M. Lang" <lorenl@alzatex.com>
To:        Jim Arnold <jim0266@yahoo.com>
Cc:        Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
Subject:   Re: IP Filter changes in FreeBSD

On Mon, Feb 07, 2005 at 02:46:50PM -0500, Jim Arnold wrote:

> >> I must have been using the module with 4.7 stable since I did not
> >> have that in the kernel I was running with 4.7. After I upgraded to
> >> 4.11 and IPF was not working I edited my kernel config file to
> >> uncomment the lines for IPF and then compiled the new kernel. I still
> >> don't have an answer why this happened.
> >>
> >> Was the module taken out of 4.11 or an earlier version on FreeBSD?
> >
> >No, it's still there as long as you build modules.  If you have
> >NO_MODULES in your make.conf, you won't, of course.
> >
> >Kris
> >
> >Attachment converted: osx:Untitled 3599 (    /    ) (000B9F03)
>
> I'm using the same /etc/make.conf file when I first put this box
> online in 2002. In that make.conf
> file the line is commented out:
>
> #NO_MODULES=    true    # do not build modules with the kernel
>
> But the question for me is still, how did this work in 4.7 if the
> above was commented out in my /etc/make.conf file and I did not have
> these uncommented in my kernel config file when I built my
> custom kernel for 4.7?

I'd be interested to see if manually loading the module with kldload
with the original kernel works.  If it does then maybe you're missing
something from rc.conf that tells freebsd to load the module.  With
FreeBSD 5.3, all I need is ipfilter_enable="YES" to have it auto-load
the module and start ipfilter, but there might be something more for
4.x