Date:      Sun, 28 Oct 2012 19:52:42 -0600
From:      Rod Morgan <rmorgan@portmorgan.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   VIA Pico-ITX ethernet & sound issues

I have a VIA Pico-ITX system (the original Artigo system) and have
installed 9.0 RELEASE.  The BIOS has been updated to the most recent
release.

With ACPI enabled, dmesg shows the boot process finds the sound controller

hdac0: <VIA VT8251/8237A High Definition Audio Controller> mem
0x9fffc000-0x9fffffff irq 17 at device 1.0 on pci128
pcm0: <HDA VIA VT1708_8 PCM #0 Analog> at cad 0 nid 1 on hdac0
pcm1: <HDA VIA VT1708_8 PCM #1 Digital> at cad 0 nid 1 on hdac0

but does not find the ethernet interface.  I see no reference at all.

With ACPI disabled, dmesg shows it finds the ethernet interface

vr0: <VIA VT6105 Rhine III 10/100BaseTX> port 0xde00-0xdeff mem
0xdfeff000-0xdfeff0ff irq 18 at device 6.0 on pci2
vr0: Quirks: 0x0
vr0: Revision: 0x8b

and shows a problem with what I think is the sound controller

unknown: <PNP0c01> can't assign resources (memory)
unknown: <PNP0c02> can't assign resources (memory)

I'm hoping to use this small system to create an internet radio and
clearly need both ethernet and audio.  Any ideas on how to get both
ethernet and audio working?