Date:      Sun, 10 Feb 2002 14:20:43 -0500
From:      Munish Chopra <mchopra@engmail.uwaterloo.ca>
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Apparently random reboots with RELENG_4

On Sun, Feb 10, 2002 at 09:47:33AM +0000, Dominic Marks wrote:
> Hey,
>
> I've been an experiencing an odd problem since 4.3-STABLE (not sure
> of a more precise portion of time) where my desktop machine will
> spontaneously reboot. So for I haven't had any luck in finding out
> what the problem has been.

I've had the same thing since around then. I got a bunch of advice on
checking whether my cards were properly seated and stuff (apparenly I
have a picky motherboard: ECS-K7S5A), but it didn't make a difference.
Mucking with BIOS settings and what not didn't help either.

> Earlier today as I was browsing some web pages I experienced this same
> problem. The discs make reseting noises and the the screen goes black,
> there is no warning prior to that which I have seen indicating a
> problem. The machine was under little or no load at the time and it
> had been running for around 30 hours without any problems.

My uptimes range from two hours to about three days. Then the machine
decides it feels like rebooting.

> To check if the problem could be hardware related I ran -CURRENT on
> this machine for around a month and a half. In this time I experienced
> no reboots, but I don't really want to run -CURRENT on this machine
> forever.

My reboots happen in -CURRENT too. I've had -CURRENT on it for about a
month or so now.

> I found this file: /var/crash/minfree, I don't know if it has any
> useful meaning in relation to this problem. It contained only the
> number 2048.

I have that too. Don't know what it means.

--
Munish Chopra     The FreeBSD NVIDIA Driver Initiative
                  http://nvidia.netexplorer.org