Date:      Thu, 13 Apr 2000 19:46:28 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Derrick Baumer <bduk@earthlink.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   emacs slow to start

Okay, all you just dying to go off on how slow emacs is at everything
else, too, just stop it.  :)

I just did a complete re-install of 3.4.  I updated my source tree,
made world, rebuilt the kernel, downloaded the latest ports tree, and
installed emacs.  When I type "emacs" at the console, it takes about
five seconds for the program to start up.  I remember it did this the
last time I installed, too, and at some point, it stopped doing that,
coming up in the blink-of-an-eye I'm used to.  It behaved the same the
time (I installed) before that as well.  I just never figured out what
it was that I did that made it start coming up normally before.
Anybody know what I need to do to make it start quickly again?

BTW, the .emacs file I'm using is the same one I was using before, so
the problem isn't in there.

--
                        Derrick Baumer
                     <bduk@earthlink.net>