Date:      Sat, 26 Dec 1998 22:19:51 -0800
From:      gummibear@we.mediaone.net
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Sound and Hardware

After trying some of the stuff I found on the mailing list archives and
some other sites concerning FreeBSD and sound, I just couldn't get it
going.  I've just about given up on the whole sound thing.

I'd tell you what I did and stuff, but I got frustrated and deleted my
"experimental audio kernel" and therefore can't reproduce my exact steps,
but I could tell you that I pretty much did this:

controller pnp0
snd0
sbxvi whatever (don't remember exactly what I did)
midi whatver

That didn't work...then I tried the Luigi drivers

controller pnp0
pcm whatever

I have a Soundblaster 16 pnp card.  I'm considering upgrading to something
that is known to work with FreeBSD 2.2.8 (which I'm currently running).
Maybe a SB AWE 32 or SB AWE 64?  Would this be a wise choice?  Would the
mention cards be more guaranteed to work?  Or should I try to find old SB
hardware that isn't pnp?

I'm just gotten a bit frustrated with it. :(  Sorry.  Any help would be
appreciated.

Joey