Date:      Thu, 30 May 2002 17:15:58 +0200
From:      Vincent TOUGAIT <viny@gcu-squad.org>
To:        FREEBSD-questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Cant't write in /var

On Thu, May 30, 2002 at 02:19:50PM +0100 or thereabouts, Jan Grant may have written :
> Can you post the error messages? It's had to guess otherwise.

	Sure. Actually, I have a problem with two ports : mysql323-server
and rpm. Here are the error messages :

<root@sylfeline:/usr/ports/databases/mysql323-server#> make install
===>  Installing for mysql-server-3.23.49

[snip]

===>   Generating temporary packing list
/usr/local/bin/mysql_install_db
mkdir: cannot make directory `/var/db/mysql': File exists
mkdir: cannot make directory `/var/db/mysql/mysql': File exists
mkdir: cannot make directory `/var/db/mysql/test': File exists

	Though the files don't exist. I can still create the directories
myself, but then, the mysql323-server Makefile believes I have old db
installed and want me to remove it. I guess I could edit the Makefile so
that it doesn't check the existence of these files, but it isn't very
clean... And it doesn't solve the problem, because rpm too can't write in
/var, as shown below :

<root@sylfeline:/usr/ports/archivers/rpm#> make install
===>  Installing for rpm-3.0.6_6

[snip]

install -c -o root -g wheel -m 555 -s rpm /usr/local/bin/rpm
mkdir /var/lib
mkdir: cannot make directory `/var/lib': File exists
mkdir /var/lib/rpm
mkdir: cannot make directory `/var/lib/rpm': File exists

	Here again the files don't exist...

	Vincent