Date:      Fri, 18 Jun 2004 16:08:56 -0400
From:      Brian Astill <bastill@adam.com.au>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [A bit OT]Re: New user questions :)

On Thu, 17 Jun 2004 10:27 am, Jorn Argelo wrote:
> >That advice may be OK for some things, but it doesn't make sense
> >to make yourself compile such behemoths as Openoffice and etc
> >unless you are in to pain and suffering for your entertainment.
> >

> Heh, that's true. Though let's be honest, you have to try everything
> once, don't you think? I  got no problems compiling KDE, but I don't
> really prefer using OOo. I'll use KOffice instead.

May you have much good fortune!  On my experience, you'll need it.
It might depend on the system, but I have found that KWord crashes every
time you use "Save As" and KSpread won't save AT ALL.

Interestingly, Knoppix - which is a pretty comprehensive stand-alone
Debian Linux system - ships with Open Office, but without KOffice, even
though it uses KDE as its GUI.

OO just WORKS without any hassles I know of.

YMMV

--
Regards,
Brian