Date:      Fri, 28 Dec 2001 17:51:49 -0500
From:      "Joe & Fhe Barbish" <barbish@a1poweruser.com>
To:        "Kent Stewart" <kstewart@owt.com>
Cc:        "FBSD Questions" <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: FreeBSD for home security cameras?

I had a 4 cameras set of those x-10's and tried to do just
like you are talking about. They are engineered for hookup
to vcr's and need a human operator to switch between cameras.
They also have a USB control plug in unit for PC access and
control, but the pc software was very very poor and had no
way to sense motion and switch to camera to record action.
Pc control was still human control, substitute a pc for
hardware control unit. That was 15 months ago, maybe they
put some development into the software by now. The nice thing
was the cameras did not need cabling, they transmitted using
radio waves and control was controlled over the electric house
circuit the camera got it's power from. Could not put a camera
where it would freeze. The picture quality was just barely
acceptable. Returned equipment for refund which took 5 months.

Buyer be ware