Date:      Thu, 16 Mar 2000 20:29:42 -0600 (CST)
From:      Ryan Thompson <ryan@sasknow.com>
To:        cjclark@home.com
Cc:        Harry Woodward-Clarke <Harry.Woodward-Clarke@S1.com>, Robert Fulford <jbstrt@alltel.net>, FreeBSD-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: toor reference in The Complete FreeBSD

Crist J. Clark wrote to Ryan Thompson:

> Ryan Thompson wrote:
> > ``toor'' is simply another user with uid=gid=0.  Most often, it can be
> > used as an alternate way to gain access to the system if the root password
> > is compromised/altered/forgotten.  (That is, if you know toor's password
> > :-)  Historically, it has been used for other purposes, as well.
>
> The most common reason for having it was when only the root partition
> was available (in single user mode), it was good to have the root use
> have a shell of /bin/sh or /bin/csh. The other user, toor, could have
> a fancier shell like /usr/local/bin/bash or /usr/local/bin/tcsh
> (something that requires /usr to be mounted). Thus the default name it
> gets, "Bourne Again User," as in bash, "Bourne Again Shell."

Tell me again why it is not a good idea to move bash/tcsh into /bin?  I
suppose it violates heir(7) to some extent, and bloats the (generally
sleek) root partition some, but beyond that, is their any reason not to?

I suppose in shared access systems, some machines might not have access to
the "add-on" shells (thus would not share a common /bin directory), and
that might be another reason not to give root /bin/bash.

Heck, I use csh for most things anyway, so I suppose this question is
relatively academic :-)

> However, since FreeBSD always prompts for a shell to use going into
> single user mode, it is _almost_ moot. Personally, I keep one with a
> 'basic' shell on machines when my /var/mail is NFS mounted. The fancy
> shells will try to check for mail and hang up if there are network
> problems.

Interesting point, regarding mail.  One can turn that off relatively
easily in most shells, as well.  Perhaps that's not a bad idea for root.
(Especially considering that, on a busy system with the default aliases,
root may well get mail about as fast as the prompts can display anyway:-)

--
  Ryan Thompson <ryan@sasknow.com>
  Systems Administrator, Accounts

  SaskNow Technologies     http://www.sasknow.com
  #106-380 3120 8th St E   Saskatoon, SK  S7H 0W2