Date:      Sun, 7 Jul 2002 13:54:43 -0500
From:      Dan Nelson <dnelson@allantgroup.com>
To:        Tim Kellers <timothyk@serv1.wallnet.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG, kellers@njit.edu
Subject:   Re: NFS/NIS... arg!

In the last episode (Jul 07), Tim Kellers said:
> I've got courses to teach FreeBSD in FreeBSD coming up Real Soon Now.
> I've set up our instructional lab to use NIS/NFS from a master server
> so that all the student UID's are authenticated from the same server
> and have their home directories mounted on the same, central, server.
>
> The problem is that the NIS/NFS combination is way too slow.  It's
> far from "snappy" in the command line environment and in Desktop mode
> (one of the last sections in the curriculum is "Advanced Desktops")

This is a pretty vague complaint.  Exactly what is not "snappy"?  By
far the worst enemy of NFS is dropped packets.  Make sure you have a
fully-switched ethernet path from client to server, preferably 100mbit
or faster.  I have never seen any slowness attributable to NIS (I've
only got 150 userids though).

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson@allantgroup.com