Date:      Wed, 31 Jul 2002 13:25:36 -0600 (CST)
From:      Ryan Thompson <ryan@sasknow.com>
To:        soheil h <soheil_h_y@hotmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: MAKING KERNEL ( emergency )

soheil h wrote to freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG:

> Hi list
>
> I use the first way outlined in the handbook but i got the errors
> again somehow the same ( without "make buildworld" )
>
> the 'make depend ' and '/usr/sbin/config ' takes no error but 'make
> ' takes error
>
> it takes errors while compiling some scsi / RAID / or wireless NIC
> in the configuration file i erase them
> after that it takes errors in on of the kern/kern_* files
>
> please make me know if i must use buildworld or something else ?

No, don't use buildworld. Use the kernel building instructions in the
handbook.

It sounds like the config'd directories may have become munged
following some edits. I'd suggest starting with a fresh compile.
Remove the /usr/src/sys/compile/MYKERN directory before beginning
again.

Succinctly:

rm -Rf /usr/src/sys/compile/MYKERN
cd /usr/src/sys/i386/conf
config MYKERN
cd ../../compile/MYKERN
make depend
make
make install

If that doesn't work, there is likely something wrong in your source
tree. Do a fresh cvsup of the system sources and try again.

Since you're also adding your own code to the kernel, do so carefully.
A how-to on kernel hacking would be a bit much for this message :-),
but basically, change as little as possible (meaning, start with a
fresh kernel that you have successfully compiled without any changes),
and make sure you can still compile at each step. Be prepared to roll
back your last set of changes in the event something blows up. Yes,
this takes time. Yes, it takes a lot *less* time than trying to insert
hundreds of lines at once. :-)

> thanx
>

> >From: "Jud" <jud@myrealbox.com>
> >To: soheil_h_y@hotmail.com
> >CC: freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
> >Subject: Re: MAKING KERNEL ( emergency )
> >Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2002 12:48:31 -0400

  Ryan Thompson <ryan@sasknow.com>

  901 1st Avenue North - Saskatoon, SK - S7K 1Y4

        Tel: 306-664-3600   Fax: 306-244-7037   Saskatoon