Date:      Wed, 20 Mar 2002 19:51:19 -0500
From:      Nathan Mace <nmace85@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   secure file transfer

i'm tring to find a way to access files that are on my server in a secure
way.  samba is pain to use, expecially when it's a freebsd server and freebsd
client.  scp & shh work, but not very well for what i want to do.  what i
really need is NFS, which works great, but from what i've been reading it's
not the most secure piece of software.  i've been trying to get the self
certifying filesystem to work
(http://www.fs.net/sfs/new-york.lcs.mit.edu:85xq6pznt4mgfvj4mb23x6b8adak55ue/pub/sfswww/index.html)
but i havn't had any success.  NOTE if anyone knows how to fix the
authserv.sock error please let me know, i've contacted the mailing list, but
so far no replies.

so i'm asking you guys.  what do you use when you need a secure NFS-like
"thing"??  or am i wrong in assuming that NFS is insecure?

please cc me, i'm not a member of the list

nathan