Date:      Thu, 27 Apr 2000 21:48:56 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Dave Banning <sky_tracker@yahoo.com>
To:        andrew@ugh.net.au
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ppp error  when ISP     igns DNS each session

Thanks for your response Andrew.

> It seems everything is working Ok except you are
> asking PPP to set a
> default route when you already have one. Either stop
> setting a default
> route from outside ppp (check /etc/rc.conf) or
> change your line in
> ppp.conf from add default HISADDR to
>
> add! default HISADDR
Did that.  It dropped the one error. But that didn't
fix the problem.
It seems, as you pointed out, that the ppp is running
OK - BUT - when I try and fire up netscape I get the
netscape error window: "warning the following hosts
are unknown : tracker1 home.netscape.com
home6.netscape.com  internic.com
This means that some or all of your host will be
unreachable" (tracker1 is me)

and another netscape window that is quite long but
starts: "perhaps there is a problem with your name
server?" the rest of the error message says I might
need to set the SOCKS variable or $SOCKS_NS variable.

What I also notice is that no matter what server name
and address I put in resolv.conf - ppp changes the
address
to something else - the man pages for ppp note that
that can be changed by omitting the "enable dns" in
the
script.

What seems strange to me is this; originally my ISP
says to me - "we won't give you a static IP number -
use dynamic - but here are your two DNS numbers."
Now they are saying "we won't give you DNS numbers
either - let your machine figure it out like it does
the dynamic IP" - that leaves me with no - numbers!