Date:      Tue, 13 Mar 2001 04:16:35 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        davids@webmaster.com (David Schwartz)
Cc:        tlambert@primenet.com (Terry Lambert), brett@lariat.org (Brett Glass), mwm@mired.org (Mike Meyer), freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Stallman stalls again

> > Authors do not have moral rights; they have legal rights,
> > granted to them under law, such law in the United States
> > being an instrumentality of Article I, Section 8, Clause 8
> > of the U.S. Constitution:
>
> So if I write a story , I don't have the moral right to decide whether to
> share it with others or not? Since I do in fact have that right, I'm curious
> if you could cite the law that gives it to me.

All works of authorship are automatically copyright by the
author, whether they affix a copyright statement, or not.
This has been the case since your country signed the Berne
Convention.

So you have the _legal_ right to not publish the story, and
to not give away publication rights.

For example, since you are posting this email to a public
mailing list which does not have membership restrictions to
qualify its members as a "select group", you have ceded the
first North American publishing rights to your posting, as
well as other right in other countries where this list is
distributed.

Publication of something to a "select group" falls into the
category of "trade secret", BTW, so if this _were_ a closed
list, so long as you exercised due dilligence in choosing the
group and informing them to to repeat your message, you have
certain legal rights remaining as regards publication.

So, for example, you could send a private email to someone,
and recover damages based on treble your losses for the
disclosure of your message, so long as you warned the recipient
against disclosure; that assumes that you had any real losses.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.