Date:      Sat, 31 Jul 1999 01:28:55 -0600
From:      "Chris Wasser" <cwasser@v-wave.com>
To:        <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   IPFW & NATD

Hi there, I have a problem that I hope can be resolved by posting here.

We have a small intranet connected to a cablemodem. The machine behind the
cablemodem is a FreeBSD box (3.2-R) with two Windows98 clients behind it
accessing inet through network address translation. With this, we haven't
had a problem. However, one of the clients behind the BSD machine plays
games on the internet (the other is simply for business stuff) and needs
certain ports forwarded for what I would imagine is DirectX DirectPlay.

The following ports are in question:

TCP - 47624
UDP - 2300 to 2400

Now I've tried several combinations for ipfw using divert and fwd with not
much luck. I then turned to natd with the -redirect_port directive and
plugged in manually, all those ports but it didn't help either. Here's what
I did:

natd.conf (called via natd -f /path/config):

redirect_port tcp [bsd_inet_ip]:47624 192.168.1.2:47624
redirect_port udp [bsd_inet_ip]:2300 192.168.1.2:2300
..
..
redirect_port udp [bsd_inet_ip]:2400 192.168.1.2:2400

It seems to me that neither ipfw (in some cases) or natd accept ranged
values for ports, requiring manually plugging in each port one by one.

ipfw add divert 47624 tcp from [bsd_inet_ip] to 192.168.1.2 47624
ipfw add divert 2300 udp from [bsd_inet_ip] to 192.168.1.2:2300

I imagine these forwarded connections must be accessible both ways
(send<->receive) for gaming purposes. If it helps any, the game in question
is Mechwarrior3 :)

At any rate, if anyone knows the problem here (wheter it be my own stupidity
or not), I would appriciate any replies.