Date:      Wed, 13 Sep 2000 01:27:53 +0100
From:      Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org>
To:        Joerg Micheel <joerg@cs.waikato.ac.nz>
Cc:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>, Matthew Jacob <mjacob@feral.com>, Frank Mayhar <frank@exit.com>, John Baldwin <jhb@pike.osd.bsdi.com>, Mark Murray <markm@FreeBSD.org>, FreeBSD-arch@FreeBSD.org, brian@Awfulhak.org
Subject:   Re: Mutexes and semaphores (was: cvs commit: src/sys/conf files src/sys/sys random.h src/sys/dev/randomdev hash.c hash.h harvest.c randomdev.c yarrow.c yarro)

> > What's the difference between a mutex and a semaphore?
>
> None, if it comes to the actual usage and implementation. Usually,
> people will use semaphores for locking blocks of code, mutexes for
> data structures. Not much of a difference in the end result, but
> locking data structures seems more natural to me.

I would tend to disagree.

A mutex is a way of guaranteeing that a resource isn't used more than
once.  A semaphore is a mechanism for queuing a notification to a
(potentially) waiting process.

A mutex is just a binary semaphore, but I don't think that's
relevant.
--
Brian <brian@Awfulhak.org>                        <brian@[uk.]FreeBSD.org>
      <http://www.Awfulhak.org>;                   <brian@[uk.]OpenBSD.org>