Date:      Fri, 20 Oct 2000 02:19:21 -0400
From:      "Kennie H. Jones" <khjones@w3rite.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Problem with Kernel PPP in demand mode and User PPP in alias mode

I am using FreeBSD 4.1 and I have a problem with Kernel PPP:

Although the documentation says that you can add a line in the options file:
demand

for demand dialing, this only works if you have a static IP address for your ISP (which almost no one has). This pretty much renders Kernel PPP unless.

The man page says, "The demand option implies the persist option. If this behavior is not desired, use the nopersist option after the demand option".

Does "after" mean following demand on the same line or on the next line? Doesn't matter because I tried them both and neither works. I get an error message when I execute pppd saying I must use the persist option for demand.

Do you know any way around this (to use Kernal PPP in demand mode)?

I also found out something useful about User PPP:

The docs say to use the command line option, "-alias" to facilitate IP aliasing. If you use this, the warning message, "-alias is deprecated" appears. Docs say -alias was left in for backward compatibility. But it does not work. Putting "nat enable yes" in the ppp.conf default section does work.
Kennie H. Jones
757-868-7567