Date:      Tue, 12 Nov 1996 09:08:38 -0500
From:      gwh@spiders.com (Gene W Homicki)
To:        Andreas Klemm <andreas@klemm.gtn.com>, "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@ki.net>
Cc:        Steve Passe <smp@csn.net>, smp@FreeBSD.org, current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: GigaByte GA-586DX-512 Motherboard

 +---
 | The performance difference between PS/2 and EDO Ram's isn't so
 | large, that it's worth the higher price. This was the case with
 | single processor boards, and I think it's also true with mp boards.
 +---

	Actually, FPM RAM is slightly MORE expensive than EDO at the
moment.  Parity RAM is defintely more expensive than both.  Seems like
comapnies are producing a lot more EDO these days so prices have come
down.   One good source for RAM is ChipMerchant:

  http://www.thechipmerchant.com/

(Careful, the CPU prices are "cash only", bu the listed RAM prices are
Credit Card prices).

 +---
 | I'd buy PS/2 RAMS with 60ns and Parity (since most mp boards support
 | parity checking - or am I wrong -) and would choose a 133 MHZ CPU,
 | because then memory and bus bandwidth are higher ! 66MHz instead of
 | 60 MHz.
 +---

	All the 430HX (Triton II) boards support parity (and ECC).
Most current (Pentium) baords are Triton-II, inclduing the Gigabyte
586DX-512.

						--Gene

--
Gene W. Homicki                               gwh@spiders.com