Date:      Fri, 8 May 1998 01:57:25 -0400 (EDT)
From:      CyberPeasant <djv@bedford.net>
To:        Ordway@compuserve.com (Bruce Ordway)
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Using FreeBSD

Bruce Ordway wrote:
> Hi,
> I recently purchased a CDROM from Walnut Creek, FreeBSD 2.2.6.
> I have a basic install completed but can't seem to do anything with
> the system now. I boot it up, maybe display some files with the
> ls command or start X with xinit. What I would really like is to get my
> network
> adapter configured & talk with the rest of my lan. I would also like to
> launch a Netscape session. It would be really nice to get Apache
> running. I can find all kinds of info for installing FreeBSD, but
> nothing when it comes to setting up and launching applications.
> Can you give me some pointers?
> Thanks,
> Bruce Ordway
> Viking Engineering

First install the package, say, apache; this will also install the
man pages, which will deal with setup. You can also browse the man
pages a head of time by mounting the appropriate CD (#2 I think) which
has a "live" filesystem (i.e. a big unix file tree expanded on the CD).

Configuring your machine for your LAN could have been done during
install, you should be able to go through those steps again by
cd to /stand, and running sysinstall.  Or, if you are familiar
with unix tcp configuration commands, try editing rc.conf.
Not knowing the config. of your LAN, I can't really give specific
instructions, except to say that you will at a minimum need
to find the stanza that looks like so: (These are for a machine on my
lan.)

### Basic network options: ###
hostname="castor.loco.net"      # Set this!
nisdomainname="NO"              # Set to NIS domain if using NIS (or NO).
firewall_enable="NO"            # Set to YES to enable firewall functionality
firewall_type="UNKNOWN"         # Firewall type (see /etc/rc.firewall)
firewall_quiet="NO"             # Set to YES to suppress rule display
tcp_extensions="YES"            # Allow RFC1323 & RFC1644 extensions (or NO).
network_interfaces="fxp0 de0 lo0"       # List of network interfaces (lo0 is loopback).
ifconfig_fxp0="inet 192.168.0.129  netmask 255.255.255.192"
ifconfig_de0="inet 192.168.0.10  netmask 255.255.255.192 media BNC"
ifconfig_lo0="inet 127.0.0.1"   # default loopback device configuration.
#ifconfig_lo0_alias0="inet 127.0.0.254 netmask 0xffffffff" # Sample alias entry.

###

This is for a  machine on my lan, named "castor.loco.net", on which
there are three net interfaces, fxp0, de0 (these are ethernet cards) and lo0,
the loopback device.

Notice the three ifconfig_XXX lines: each of these configures a network
interface with an IPA. In this case, I have two subnets (hence netmask
255.255.255.192 instead of 255.255.255.0, more normal for a Class C IPA).

The correspond to the command line ifconfig commands:

	ifconfig fxp0 inet 192.168.0.129 netmask 255.255.255.192
and	ifconfig de0  inet 192.168.0.10  netmask 255.255.255.192 media BNC

The de0 card is BNC/twisted pair dual media NIC, and I force it to BNC.

If you have a de0, see man 4 de; if you have an ed0, see man 4 ed etc.

Later in that file, you will possibly want to set a default network
gateway.

Look for a stanza like:

### Network routing options: ###
defaultrouter="192.168.0.1"     # Set to default gateway (or NO).
static_routes=""                # Set to static route list (or leave empty).
gateway_enable="YES"            # Set to YES if this host will be a gateway.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ You may need this, maybe not... who knows but you?
You will need it if you intend for your machine to forward packets,
either between subnets (like this machine does), or through ppp or ?? to
the 'Net at large.

router_enable="NO"              # Set to YES to enable a routing daemon.
router="routed"                 # Name of routing daemon to use if enabled.
router_flags="-q"

Set the defaultrouter line appropriately.

Both before and after this, read the handbook and the FAQ, which may
have been installed. (They are on the WC CDROM, for sure). If installed
they reside in /usr/share/doc/handbook/handbook.html and /u/s/d/FAQ/FAQ.html.

These can be browsed to your profit with lynx (install the package for
lynx2.8, if it is not already installed).

	lynx file://localhost/usr/share/doc/handbook/handbook.html

for example.

Dave
--
                <----.   mail-to: djv@bedford.net