Date:      Mon, 22 Nov 2010 19:30:17 -0200
From:      Sergio de Almeida Lenzi <lenzi.sergio@gmail.com>
To:        gnome@freebsd.org
Subject:   totem and dvd playing

Congratulations for the Gnome freebsd porting.
it works as expected for the first time I built it...

However there are just a few problems that remains
over the releases of gnome, and seems to not have
a solution.

1) totem
    when the support for using xine as the rendering was dropped in 2.28
    totem looses the ability to play dvds. and consumes much more cpu.
    As a solution, users started to use vlc, gmplayer, or even
xine,gxine and kaffeine
    but the integration with the gnome environment is lost..  as a
solution I
    build a freebsd package named "totem-xine" that wraps xine  and
installs
    it as "totem", now everything works: music, rmvb, dvdplaying, vcd,
avi, mp4....
    it works even on netbooks (acer one, hp mini, asus mini...). I know
that is an "ugly
    solution, but it is better than having 3 players in the environment
(mplayer, vlc, totem, xine)
    mplayer because I need mencoder
    vlc to play dvd but it uses much cpu
    totem to play music and avi, mp4
    this confuses the user that did now know what player to use.
    I install FreeBSD on notebooks for people that are tired of using
windows  and there
    is a lot of...  These users wants things done easy and fast, that is
why they love gnome,
    some of them does not even know what is the operating system they
are using... they
    just want to use the computer.. and for them gnome is the "best"
solution...

    I know that the best solution is to "fix"  the gstreamer to make it
play dvds...
    but it is out of my skills..  the other solution is to re-insert the
xine engine
    in totem.... but it is out of my skills too..   do you have a
solution???

2) Gdm
    the current gdm that is shipped with version 2.32 does not have all
the
    features of the "old"  one (2.26, 2.28) so I had to rebuild
gnome-2.32.1
    to depend on the old gdm.   again, not a good solution.

thanks for your attention, and again, congratulations for the great
software...

Sergio