Date:      Thu, 19 Oct 2000 23:46:37 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Andy Hogben <andy@mini.chicago.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   asr driver (Adaptec SCSI Raid)

I see Mike Smith has been very busy and committed the asr
driver to 4.1.1 already.  I have what may be some stupid
questions about it but just want to make sure of things
before I tell my boss we should go and buy a $700 controller . . .

1) I'm afraid the 'SCSI Raid' name is a little too generic
for my current state of paranoia. :-)  To confirm, this
refers to the 2100S, 3200S, etc. cards?  AND, this is what
the driver supports?

2) I know in the past some drivers have had limitations where
you couldn't boot from a drive on the controller (like the old
AMI driver).  I know this was a while ago but, I want to confirm
that this is not the case with the asr driver (i.e., you CAN
boot off of a mirrored setup using an asr supported device).

3) Anyone have any experience with these cards?

Any info would be very much appreciated.

Andy

ps Thanks for all the work Mike!