Date:      Fri, 3 Apr 1998 17:21:46 -0500
From:      "Larry S. Marso" <larry@marso.com>
To:        "Bryan K. Ogawa" <bkogawa@primenet.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: scanner--*anyone* successful with FreeBSD?

On Fri, Apr 03, 1998 at 12:57:16PM -0800, Bryan K. Ogawa wrote:

> I have successfully scanned with a Microtek E3 on a BT-948 card using
> sane-0.67.  sane-0.71 doesn't work for me, but it doesn't hang my
> system, either.
>
> I had a Adaptec 1505A (simpler than the 1520, but the same driver) but
> it would panic when I tried to scan with sane-0.67.  It looks like
> it's just an unimplemented command so someone who had some actual
> knowledge about SCSI could probably fix it so that it would work.

The BT-948 card worked, but *not* the Adaptec 1505?  When the system
"panicked", what happened ... a total lock-up?  A so-called "SCSI kernel
lockup" where the machine is frozen but still answers pings?

Did you try the Adaptec with just the scanner or with multiple SCSI
devices?  What did you mean by "an unimplemented command"?

Best regards
--
Larry S. Marso
larry@marso.com