Date:      13 Sep 2002 00:00:59 -0700
From:      swear@attbi.com (Gary W. Swearingen)
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   docs on building & installing ports as non-root

I've spent several hours trying to find some article I thought I saw
about a month which explained how to build and install from ports
without having to run as root in order to have write-access to the
/usr/ports and /usr/local trees.  Anybody remember seeing such a
document lately, or one like it?  The handbook says: "You must be the
root user to install ports."  The ports are nice, but I miss the
build-from-tarball days when you could install apps as a normal user.

(I know I should be able to figure something out from info in
/usr/ports/Mk/bsd.port.mk, but there seems to be too many unknowns.)
I don't know how you'd make changes to /var/db/pkg without being
root, but maybe it's OK to have other databases owned by other
users.  I'd be willing to drop protections on /var/db/pkg to be
able to run all those scary build & install scripts as non-root.)

Thanks.