Date:      Mon, 8 Oct 2001 13:15:38 -0700
From:      Murray Stokely <murray.stokely@windriver.com>
To:        "Gary W. Swearingen" <swear@blarg.net>
Cc:        Murray Stokely <murray@FreeBSD.ORG>, freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: docs/31109: replace gif images w/ png ones due to patent license

On Mon, Oct 08, 2001 at 12:52:59PM -0700, Gary W. Swearingen wrote:
> >From what I've read (at trustworthy places like /.), the display of GIF
> images is explicitly permitted (without royalties) by the patent holder.
> It is only the sale of them or the sale of software that generates them
> (I forget which) which requires royalty payments.  (Meaning that you're
> free to display GIFs you make with properly-licensed software.)

  Technicalities like this still rub me the wrong way and I think we
should move as many of our images to PNG (especially the painless ones
that the submitter mentioned) as soon as possible.  Do I want to spend
some time reading up about MNG and looking for animated GIF->MNG
software?  Not really, but I have no problem running mogrify over some
static GIFs.

      - Murray