Date:      Fri, 08 Jun 2007 04:52:38 -0500
From:      Jack Barnett <jackbarnett@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Offtopic: x.org verus xFree86?

This is slightly off topic... but anyone know the differences between
x.org and xFree86?

I was using FreeBSD 4.xxx for the longest time (and some varieties of
Linux, OpenBSD, etc) and all where xFree86.
I was out of the "scene" for a bit (but still running 4.xxx) and
recently upgraded to 6.2 and it has x.org...

x.org all over the place.
no more traces of xfree86 anywhere!

now it's at 7.2 :)

Anyone know why x.org split from xFree86?  From what I can tell it looks
the same (same files, same options etc)... was it just a licensing
change or something like that?

Just wondering the history behind the different naming and what all
changed?  Why was it "forked"?

Thanks