Date:      Sun, 25 Jun 2000 08:17:13 +0000
From:      Nik Clayton <nik@freebsd.org>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
Cc:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.osd.bsdi.com>, Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group <Cy.Schubert@uumail.gov.bc.ca>, Nik Clayton <nik@FreeBSD.ORG>, arch@FreeBSD.ORG, papowell@astart.com
Subject:   Re: was: Bringing LPRng into FreeBSD?

On Fri, Jun 23, 2000 at 05:21:08PM +0000, Terry Lambert wrote:
> > > He said GNU and Artistic licences.
> > >             ^^^
> > > I took that to mean no choice.
> >
> > No, you have a choice of either one.  You can take LPRng under
> > the GPL or you can take it under the Artistic license.  It is
> > dual-licensed.  We would, of course, choose the artistic license.
>
> So you would be OK with this, if the purely GPL NLS code (gettext)
> was removed from LPRng, right?
>
> I think the GPL-only portions of the code are what he's objecting to,
> not the Artistic Licensed code.

I brought this up with Patrick.  He said that this used to be an issue
with an earlier version of LPRng, but that he becamse aware of exactly
this issue, and more recent versions don't have the GNU code in.  I
haven't looked at the source myself, but I've no reason to disbelieve
that.

I'm currently stuck at LA airport, which is not conducive to checking
this out.  If Patrick hasn't covered this himself by the time I'm back
and non-lagged I'll do so.