Date:      Thu, 11 Oct 2001 13:54:02 -0700
From:      David Johnson <djohnson@acuson.com>
To:        legg@iastate.edu
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 4.3-RELEASE Security Issues

legg@iastate.edu wrote:

> I am not sure how this person got in, as my logs were deleted, but I am
> guessing it was through the telnetd vulnerability.  I had to reinstall.
> Other than disabling this service, are there any other holes that a box on
> the network may be vurnerable to?

There's always holes. The problem with securing only the known holes is
that you think you got them all, when the unknown holes are just as bad.

If you do not need to access your machine remotely, then it's not that
hard to lock down fairly solid. Just turn all services off, deny
anything not local, and uninstall anything you don't use. Read the
security section of the Handbook.

If you do need to access your machine remotely, then you'll have a lot
more work to do. There's a lot of security related information out
there, so make good use of it.

David