Date:      Thu, 19 Apr 2001 15:10:55 -0400
From:      estair@computer-exchange.com
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   'hdparm' equivalent for FreeBSD? Need to spin-down disks.

Hello all.

I'm looking for a solution to this situation.  I have a FBSD box with
several KDE HD's that is only intermittently accessed over the network.
I'd very much like to have the system sync and spin down the disks
after a timeout period, and have them resume only when accessed.

In Linux this is set by the 'hdparm' utility, however I've found no such
equivalent in FreeBSD by searching the Handbook, Complete FreeBSD
or web archives, or ports collection.  ACPI/APM support possibly?

Any recommendations welcome :)

/eli