Date:      Wed, 2 Oct 2002 20:30:04 +0300 (EEST)
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
To:        Ross Lippert <ripper@eskimo.com>
Cc:        anderson@centtech.com, <doc@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Doc update

On 2002-10-02 06:33, Ross Lippert wrote:

> >It would be great to have a list of "no need to build the kernel if you
> >are just trying to do these things:" items.. That would save a lot of
> >time.  Who would know that list?
> That's a good question.
>
> To add more complexity to the discussion there are actually two types of
> "little tweaks" one could do.  The first is to put something in loader.conf:
> 	foo_load="YES"
> The second is to put something in rc.local or the more modern /usr/local/etc/rc.d
> which says
> 	kldload foo
>
> It may have been that I was doing something wrong, but I found that I could not
> get sound loaded with the former, but I could with the latter (I think I tried
> both snd and pcm for my "foo" above -- it was a while ago).

Timing is everything.  The loader.conf stuff runs when very little
things have been loaded & run by the running kernel.  The /usr/local
things are loaded as modules close to the end of the booting process.

Some things might depend on being loaded very early in the boot
process, to get their own stuff right.  Others don't.  This is the
root of the differences you have pointed out.

Giorgos.