Date:      Sat, 8 Apr 2006 16:28:17 +0200
From:      Phil Regnauld <regnauld@catpipe.net>
To:        Norbert Koch <nkoch@gmx.de>
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: forward a tcp stream through rs232

Norbert Koch (nkoch) writes:

> I know I could just use ppp, but the client side will be a windows
> machine and I do not want to have the overhead of a complete
> TCP/IP protocol on the serial line. And I also do not want to
> have to configure IP addresses.
>
> Does anybody know about some quick and dirty solution for that?

	Yes, use PPP.  Sorry, but the overhead of a "complete TCP/IP protocol"
	is negligeable with modern modems, especially if you have header
	compression, MNP and other V* compressions.  You could arguably
	use SLIP, which is lighter weight.  Not wanting to configure IP
	addresses: just give your tunnel 127.1.0.1 and 127.1.0.2 or whatever.
	(In practice you could even avoid that and just route subnets via the
	endpoints of the tunnel).

> I could but do not want to re-invent a wheel, which surely has
> been invented more than once in the last century;-)

	Then use PPP.