Date:      Sun, 13 Jun 2004 21:13:40 -0400
From:      Bob Perry <rperry4@earthlink.net>
To:        "Andrew L. Gould" <algould@datawok.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Help With Selection of Database Application

On (06/13/04 19:24), Andrew L. Gould wrote:
> Date: Sun, 13 Jun 2004 19:24:52 -0500
> From: "Andrew L. Gould" <algould@datawok.com>
> To: Bob Perry <rperry4@earthlink.net>
> Cc: freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
> Subject: Re: Help With Selection of Database Application
>
> On Sun, 13 Jun 2004 19:48:21 -0400
> Bob Perry <rperry4@earthlink.net> wrote:
>
> > I've had extensive experience with MS Access as a user
> > and would like to port a comparable system into my FreeBSD
> > box. Can anyone recommend a database application similar to
> > Access?  I've looked through the ports but can't seem
> > to readily make that distinction without the expertise
> > of a DBA.
> >
> > If this is not the type of question supported by this
> > mailing list, please disregard.
> >
> > Bob Perry
>
> I also use MS Access extensively at work.  MS Access has many facets; so
> the answer to you're question depends upon how you use MS Access:
>
> 1.  If you've been using MS Access as a database server, I think you'll
> be much happier with the likes of PostgreSQL, MySQL or Firebird.  All 3
> are available in the ports.
>
> 2.  If you're looking for a database application with GUI RAD
> capabilities similar to MS Access, there are some applications
> available; but most focus on database administration (simple queries)
> rather than end-user application development.  You might take a look at
> PgAdmin III, which is crossplatform, but requires PostgreSQL as the
> back-end server.  You can find it in the ports
> (/usr/ports/databases/pgadmin3) or at:
> http://www.pgadmin.org/pgadmin3/index.php
>
> There is also a KDE project called "Kexi", which looks promising; but I
> don't think it's soup yet:  http://www.kexi-project.org
>
> 3.  If you're looking for a GUI that facilitates joining/analyzing
> tables from different servers (PostgreSQL and MySQL tables, for
> example), I think you're out of luck.
>
> I run a PostgreSQL server on FreeBSD at work.  It supplements the
> Decision Support System and handles the back-end for a few MS Access
> applications.  The combo works very well as long as your binary fields
> (boolean, etc) are defined as "not null" with default values.
>
> Best of luck,
>
> Andrew Gould

Andrew,

This is exactly the type of information I was looking for.  Thanks
so much for taking the time.

The Kexi project is what I was hoping for however, I'm not
running KDE and the project, as you say, is not soup yet.

I like the PgAdmin III project and intend to give it a good
look see.

Thanks again for your help.

Bob Perry

--
I've learned that whatever hits the fan will not be evenly
distributed.

FreeBSD 4.9-RELEASE-p2 #0