Date:      Fri, 20 Oct 2000 04:14:39 -0500
From:      Jim Graham <jim@n5ial.gnt.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Videocard query

On Thu, Oct 19, 2000 at 07:31:10AM +1000, Doug Young wrote:
> From: "Daniel Bye" <Daniel.Bye@uk.uu.net>
>
> > ATI cards are available for quite cheap to quite expensive, but they WORK
> > with minimal fuss.  I also use a Xpert98-based card, and it is excellent.
>
> Thanks Dan ... judging from the response it appears that everyone on the
> list has had good experiences with ATI stuff :)

Well, almost everyone.  I have an ATI Xpert 2000 (Rage 128, 32M), and
have been constantly plagued with misplaced text.  Quite often, text
that was supposed to go in an xterm (or Eterm, or .... well, everything
I've tried) window ends up in the root window....  Same goes for text that
was supposed to appear in Netscape---it often ends up in the root window,
too.

I'm running XFree86 3.3.6 as shipped with FreeBSD 4.1.1 (well, after
configuring it) with the SVGA server (picked by the config).  I'm running
it at 1600x1200, 32bpp.

When it behaves, it's a great card.  When it doesn't, it's very annoying.
The question is, is it the card or the X server?  And is there a fix?

Later,
   --jim

--
73 DE N5IAL (/4)       |  "There is no reason anyone would want
jim@n5ial.gnt.net      |  a computer in their home."