Date:      Thu, 17 May 2001 01:27:54 +0100
From:      Nik Clayton <nik@freebsd.org>
To:        Matt Dillon <dillon@earth.backplane.com>
Cc:        Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>, Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>, dave <dleimbac@earthlink.net>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Gettimeofday Again...

--VbJkn9YxBvnuCH5J

On Wed, May 16, 2001 at 10:43:14AM -0700, Matt Dillon wrote:
>     I don't change the timercounter method defaults, and I sure hope you
>     aren't advocating that people change their timecounter defaults.  If
>     the TSC is a reasonable default, the system should figure it out and
>     use it without requiring intervention.

At the risk of going off at a slight tangent, TSC is not a good default
on some hardware.  In particular, at least some laptops will start to
gain or lose time almost immediately they boot if the timecounter is set
to TSC.  It has to be set to i8254 in /etc/sysctl.conf.  This is covered
in the FAQ.

--=20
FreeBSD: The Power to Serve             http://www.freebsd.org/
FreeBSD Documentation Project           http://www.freebsd.org/docproj/

          --- 15B8 3FFC DDB4 34B0 AA5F  94B7 93A8 0764 2C37 E375 ---

--VbJkn9YxBvnuCH5J

--VbJkn9YxBvnuCH5J--