Date:      Wed, 10 Jul 2002 09:27:52 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Jerry McAllister <jerrymc@clunix.cl.msu.edu>
To:        grant.cooper@nucleus.com (Grant Cooper)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG (FreeBSD-Questions)
Subject:   Re: Ftp question

> I think my file was corrupted. How can I ftp dirrectly from a server. From
> the command line in FreeBSD I typed in. I know how to connect to my server
> and use put and get but I can't seem to log in. I don't think I need to?
>
> ftp://apache.valueclick.com/pub/apache/dist/httpd/httpd-2.0.39.tar.gz

Well, you should really be using the ports process to download and
install these things.

Just go to the appropriate directory in /usr/ports
 --  go to /usr/ports/www/
 and pick the apache your want,
 cd to that one and
 type  'make'  and  then 'make install'
 or even just 'make install'
It will do everything for you.

You DID install the ports structure didn't you!!!

NOTE: that ports structure is just a set of directories with make
      files that know how to download, build  and install the stuff.
      It doesn't contain the actual ports software, until you go
      in there and type make in one of them.

Unless you are doing some stripped down thing that you already are
clear on what you want or you are extremely short on disk space -
no sysem is that short nowdays - you should always get the whole
ports tree when you do you initial install.

////jerry