Date:      Sun, 21 Dec 1997 16:08:38 +0100
From:      pb@fasterix.freenix.org (Pierre Beyssac)
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   panics with csh under -current: looking for testers

I have the following problem with the latest -current.

Running the following trivial csh script panics the machine each
time:

#!/bin/csh -f
nonexistentfile1
rm nonexistentfile2

If you replace csh with sh, it doesn't seem to panic anymore...

I've sent a PR for this yesterday, but of the two persons who
replied, no one was able to reproduce it (one of them maybe because
his kernel was dated December 9th). I'd like to know if I'm just
having hallucinations or somebody else can reproduce the bug (It
works both on a Cyrix P166+ IDE 32Mb and an AMD K6, 64Mb, SCSI).
It's a problem with exec_aout_imgact() getting a NULL imgp while
it's called by execve() with a non-NULL imgp. Maybe the stack is
at an odd location in memory? The system doesn't panic otherwise,
only when I happen to run the script.

Here's a stripped-down kernel config which panics:

machine		"i386"
cpu		"I586_CPU"
ident		ASTERIX
maxusers	30

options		DDB
options		INET			#InterNETworking
options		FFS			#Berkeley Fast Filesystem
options		"COMPAT_43"		#Compatible with BSD 4.3 [KEEP THIS!]

config		kernel	root on sd0

controller	isa0
controller	pci0
controller	ncr0
controller	scbus0
device		sd0

device		sc0	at isa? port "IO_KBD" tty irq 1 vector scintr
device		npx0	at isa? port "IO_NPX" flags 0x1 irq 13 vector npxintr

pseudo-device	loop

--
Pierre Beyssac	      pb@fasterix.frmug.org pb@fasterix.freenix.org
{Free,Net,Open}BSD, Linux : il y a moins bien, mais c'est plus cher