Date:      Tue, 27 May 1997 17:34:30 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        black@zen.cypher.net (Ben Black)
Cc:        cmsedore@mailbox.syr.edu, rssh@cki.ipri.kiev.ua, FreeBSD-Hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: async socket stuff

> > > how do you spell kludge?
> >
> > Why does this qualify as a kludge (and a better question might be "how do
> > you pronounce kludge?" :).
>
> it is a kludge because it is in there for EXACTLY one purpose.  you
> couldn't use the facilities for any but transferring a file from one host
> to another.  it is only there to get around a general problem for a
> specific application.  that's a kludge.

It's not generally useful, either.  For instance, for POP3 and SMTP
mail processing, "." quoting must take place.  You have to adulterate
the RFC's and *store* the data quoted (assuming that it will be going
out on the same type of, or similar, transport it came in on) if you
wish to use this facility for, for instance, POP3 lookup or SMTP
forwarding.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---