Date:      Fri, 20 Oct 2000 13:43:10 +0400
From:      Alex Kapranoff <kappa@antar.bryansk.ru>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   What to do to debug a hang on a 4.1.1-STABLE system?

Good day to all.

We have a 4.1.1-STABLE system (rebuilt ten days ago) as our web-server
and X workstation. In recent 12 days we had four total hangs.
Consoles and network lock till cold reboot. Three of four times I was
running X and just surfing. Then mouse freezes and ka-boom happens.
No pings, no keyboard blinkenlights, nothing.

This kinda bothers me and I just wanted to ask about the ways to
diagnose and then shoot the trouble. Are there any ways to get a crash
dump or whatever in this situation? Serial console? Syslog to a remote
host? I need advice, badly.

It's a PIII 600 box with a 128 of SDRAM and 76Gb on four hdds.
It has an Acorp motherboard with Intel815 chipset. We've plugged in an
old S3 video card to get X running (XFree86 doesn't support i815
built-in videocontroller on a FreeBSD).

--
Alex Kapranoff,
+7(0832)791845