Date:      Thu, 19 Apr 2001 14:52:57 -0500
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        green <green@prokk.net>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: attemp to connect

green <green@prokk.net> types:
> hi
>
> i would like, what my freebsd machine would log any connection
> attempts on any port..
>
> can i do this with standart freebsd programs, or i need something
> other for this feature ?

It's a standard part of FreeBSD. You need to do three things to set it
up:

1) load the ipfw module:
	kldload ipfw
2) Use sysctl to set the ipfw verbosity:
	sysctl -w net.inet.ip.fw.verbose=1 net.inet.ip.fw.verbose_limit=0
3) Turn on logging with ipfw:
	ipfw add allow log ip from any to any

That allows the connection attempts and logs them. If you don't want
them to work, replcae "allow" with "deny". Read the ipfw manual page
for detailed information on the sysctl's and ipfw.

Be warned that this exactly what you asked for, so connection attempts
to localhost will be logged, and possibly denied. You may not want
that.

	<mike