Date:      Sun, 11 Jan 1998 03:02:36 +0000
From:      Brian Somers <brian@awfulhak.org>
To:        jak@cetlink.net (John Kelly)
Cc:        efinley@castlenet.com, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Q: which ppp to use?

> On Sat, 10 Jan 1998 07:51:56 GMT, efinley@castlenet.com (Elliot
> Finley) wrote:
>
> >If I plan on having up to 200 simultaneous ppp dialins on a single
> >box, which ppp would be better? pppd or user ppp?
>
> Neither one, because that airplane will not fly.
>
> 32 ports per box, or perhaps 64 with the right stuff, hardware wise.
> You will need more than one box.

I load-test ppp by running it over loopback connections via inetd
(for example when I was testing the dynamic IP assignments).

I was aware of a rather strange limit on 100 ppp processes !  I've
now found that the problem is that the ppp code is assuming an
interface name to be up to 5 characters *blush*.

I've just fixed this (in -current), but I can't currently build the
archive on

  http://www.FreeBSD.org/~brian

'cos of recent libalias problems :-(  It'll be in the next
(post 980108) version.

Having said all that, I've never actually used these 100 connections
all at the same time.  I may try soon :-)

      <http://www.Awfulhak.org>;