Date:      Tue, 7 Feb 1995 22:49:43 -0700
From:      Nate Williams <nate@sneezy.sri.com>
To:        "M.C Wong" <mcw@hpato.aus.hp.com>, freebsd-questions@freefall.cdrom.com (freebsd-questions@freefall.cdrom.com)
Subject:   Re: ISDN `modem

>   ? Also, does anyone find 28.8K an acceptable link for SLIP/PPP to
>   provide an ftp site ?

I'm not sure it'll be an acceptable ftp link, but I'm in the process of
finding out how usable a 14.4K link to the Internet is.  The phone co.
finally got the line noise out of the line this afternoon, so tonight is
the first time I've been able to connect reliably.  So far I'm finding
out that things are working pretty good.  I'm running a SUP update in
the background and I'm reading News and doing some machine builds on my
work machine that is generating a LOT of traffic.  This machine is not
local but across the net as well.  So far I'm fairly impressed, and when
I update my end to a 28.8K I suspect I'll even be happier.

With all that said, I doubt I'd want to run an ftp server on the link.
Generally, ftp servers get beaten up pretty badly if it has anything of
interest, and if it's not interesting enough it's not worth making a new
ftp server.  2-3 ftp users would wipe out a link pretty easily for
anyone trying to do any interactive work outside the link.

Nate