Date:      Thu, 22 Nov 2001 08:38:31
From:      "Thor Legvold" <tlegvold@hotmail.com>
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   mpd-netgraph CONNECTED!

But I have no idea why. Nor is the link usable. But I'm happy to see I'm
making progress :-)

As far as I can tell, I did exactly what the docs say not to do (and even
generates a warning when loading the bundle) - I set both remote and peer to
0.0.0.0/0, mpd tells me "IPCP: peer address cannot be zero" and the manual
explicitly states *not* to set this to zero. However it seemed to allow me
to connect, for whatever reason. This would all be easier if I understood
the basic paradigm...

The strange thing (maybe not strange, I guess it's what I asked for when
configuring the peer IP to 0) is that I then get a routable IP from the peer
(like I'm supposed to) AND a "self" IP in the 10.100.0.0 range, which I
don't understand (I'll call my ISP and ask). I already have (via DHCP) an
"internal" WAN IP of 10.10.2.91 which seems to be pretty much constant every
time I connect, however setting this in the mpd.conf results in me not being
able to connect. Even if I allow a reasonable spread (10.10.0.0/16), it
won't work.

My routing get's all blown up with a default route that doesn't make sense
at all (10.100.n.n as gateway to mt routable IP, but default route still to
10.10.2.1 - the internal WAN). Tried changing this after mpd connected with
both "route change ...." and with "set route default" from the mpd prompt.
Neither helped, they caused mpd to drop the connection (no route to host).

But, at least now I can connect, that's good!

Any ideas what's wrong here? (where should I be looking next...?)

Regards,
Thor