Date:      Thu, 25 Oct 2001 23:48:04 +0200
From:      hans@lambermont.dyndns.org (H)
To:        John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        Jonathan Atkins <jcatki@home.com>, Antal Novak <afn@weevil.net>, doc@FreeBSD.org, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, Joe Clarke <marcus@marcuscom.com>
Subject:   Re: SOLVED Re: Imwheel problems++

John Baldwin wrote:

> You only use ZAxisMapping if you _don't_ use the moused -z 4 option.
> Please read the FAQ thorougly.

I did, read on.

> It describes 2 ways of achieving the desired mapping of the Z axis to
> buttons.  One is to use moused -z 4 and Buttons 5, the other is to use
> ZAxisMapping w/o Buttons or moused's -z 4 flag.

In the FAQ I read it does not. In
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/faq/x.html#AEN3769 it
says:

    a. Using moused(8) to Translate Wheel Events

    To have moused(8) perform the event translations, simply add -z 4 to the
    command line used to start moused(8). For example, if you normally start
    moused(8) via moused -p /dev/psm0 you would start it by entering moused
    -p /dev/psm0 -z 4 instead. If you start moused(8) automatically during
    bootup via /etc/rc.conf, you can simply add -z 4 to the moused_flags
    variable in /etc/rc.conf.

    You now need to tell X that you have a 5 button mouse. To do this,
    simply add the line Buttons 5 to the ``Pointer'' section of
    /etc/XF86Config. For example, you might have the following ``Pointer''
    section in /etc/XF86Config.

and then Example 9-1 for the XFree86 3.3.x series (which is not
applicable, as I use 4.x) and then one for XFree86 4.x series, still for
cases where you use the moused :

    Example 9-2. ``InputDevice'' Section for Wheeled Mouse in XFree86 4.x
    series XF86Config with automatic protocol recognition and button mapping
    Translation

    Section "InputDevice"
           Identifier      "Mouse1"
           Driver          "mouse"
           Option          "Protocol" "auto"
           Option          "Device" "/dev/psm0"
           Option          "Buttons" "5"
           Option          "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
    EndSection

I think this Example 9-2 should have the line
    Option          "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
removed, and
    Option          "Device" "/dev/psm0"
changed into
    Option          "Device" "/dev/sysmouse"

Agreed ?
Were you perhaps referring to another FAQ ?

regards,
   Hans Lambermont
--
http://lambermont.webhop.org/