Date:      Fri, 3 Apr 1998 17:04:39 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Jason C. Wells" <jcwells@u.washington.edu>
To:        "D.E. Hashbarger" <danieh@idt.net>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: uniformitdy

On Fri, 3 Apr 1998, D.E. Hashbarger wrote:

> I don't like the patched together feel of Linux, and I'm hoping that
> FreeBSD does feels more uniform, due to it's central authority. What
> do you say?  Dan

I have never used Linux so I cannot compare the two OSes.

I can say this. FreeBSD is a very tight package. Throw in the ports
collection and it is more tight. Software installs with ease.

I have never NOT been able to get any software in the ports collection
to run. I have had to tweak a couple of makefiles to get a couple ports
to work, but that was because of my mucking around.

FreeBSD has just two development branches: -current and -stable. There
is no Redhat, Slackware, or Debian distrbutions to deal with. There is
just -current and -stable. -current is bleeding edge. -stable is, well,
stable. :)

For those of us who don't monkey around with the latest sources it is
even easier. From the -stable branch of development there is ONE
release. The current release is 2.2.6.

Have fun,	 | Stop warning me about the latest virus. Learn more...
Jason Wells	 | http://ciac.llnl.gov/ciac/CIACHoaxes.html