Date:      Wed, 7 Nov 2001 08:01:20 -0800 (PST)
From:      Mikko Tyolajarvi <mikko@dynas.se>
To:        Jochen.Kaiser@rrze.uni-erlangen.de
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: remote installworld; export /usr/obj -ro via nfs ?

In local.freebsd.questions you write:

>I am interested in providing ppl. a remote update mechanism here at
>university. I just started playing with this topic.

>I therefore would appreciate any hints for the following questions:

>1) I exported /usr/src, /usr/obj and started "make buildworld" and afterwards
>   "make installworld" and it worked perfectly. I did export both with
>   'read only' option and it did work.
>
>   Is there any known bad misbehaviour if /usr/obj is exported 'ro' instead
>   of 'rw' ? A friend of mine did me tell of errors he did experience with
>   'ro' export?

It is supposed to work.  I have used it.  If you track -current (or
even -stable) it may happen that a commit breaks read-only
/usr/{src,obj} but it tends to get fixed pretty quickly.

[...]

Dunno.  Try www.daemonnews.org.

>3) is there a strategy to distribute /usr/ports? maybe to modify the
>   scripts for building a /usr/ports/X/Y/work.'hostname'?

"make WRKDIR=/tmp/wrk" or "make WRKDIRPREFIX=/tmp/wrk".  See
/usr/ports/Mk/bsd.port.mk and try it out.

   $.02,
   /Mikko
--
 Mikko Työläjärvi_______________________________________mikko@rsasecurity.com