Date:      Sun, 20 Jan 2008 13:38:13 +0000
From:      "Alphons \"Fonz\" van Werven" <a.j.werven@student.utwente.nl>
To:        Bruce Evans <brde@optusnet.com.au>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Realtek 8111B LAN Chipset

Bruce Evans wrote:

> I also want a cheap PCI/e NIC that works well with drivers back to
> FreeBSD-4 like my plain PCI bge and em NICs do.  I doubt that any
> popular motherboard will have anything better than a cheap PCI/e NIC.

Finding a modern main board of which the builtin NIC works with 4.X seems
like a tall order to me, perhaps it would be easier to install a seperate
NIC.

With some luck you might be able to pick up a decent used NIC from a
discarded Pentium(2) or something. I've been using a 3Com 3c509 combo
card for years. In 3.X the driver was still buggy, but it worked great
with 4.X, particularly the later ones, say, 4.5 onwards.

Alphons

--
VISTA - Viruses Intruders Spyware Trojans Adware