Date:      Mon, 19 Jan 1998 22:54:56 -0500 (EST)
From:      Chuck <crtb@capecod.net>
To:        freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Non-functional MM devs

Apologies: I seem to have sent an incomplete post!  Here 'tis with as
much detail as I can think of :-)

Problem: /dev/audio drives external speakers, but no other soundblaster
devices work.  Rosegarden etc. either hang or say devs. are not config'd
or set.

Is there some doc somewhere which describes the use and configuration of
/dev/sequencer0, /dev/music0, /dev/midi0, /dev/mixer0, /dev/dsp0,
/dev/dspW0 etc.?

FreeBSD 2.2.2R;
======= My config file includes, among other stuff:

pseudo-device   speaker
device          pca0    at isa? port IO_TIMER1 tty
controller      snd0
device          sb0     at isa? port 0x220 irq 5 drq 1 vector sbintr    # 7->5
device          sbxvi0  at isa? drq 5
device          sbmidi0 at isa? port 0x330      # Was 300, now 330
options         "EXCLUDE_MPU401"        # NO MPU401 support
options         EXCLUDE_GUS             # NO GUS support
options         EXCLUDE_GUS_IODETECT    # NO GUS io detection
options         EXCLUDE_SB_EMULATION    # NO PAS SB emulation support
options         EXCLUDE_SBPRO           # NO SB Pro support
options         "EXCLUDE_YM3812"        # NO AdLib support
options         "EXCLUDE_OPL3"          # NO OPL3 chip support
options         EXCLUDE_PAS             # NO Pro Audio Studio support
options         EXCLUDE_PRO_MIDI        # NO PAS MIDI support

device snd2 at isa? port 0x220 irq 7 drq 1 vector sbintr
device snd6 at isa? port 0x220 irq 7 drq 5 vector sbintr
device snd7 at isa? port 0x300
device snd1 at isa? port 0x388

======== And, my dmesg says on this subject:

sb0 at 0x220 irq 5 drq 1 on isa
sb0: <SoundBlaster 16 4.12>
sbxvi0 at 0x0 drq 5 on isa
sbxvi0: <SoundBlaster 16 4.12>
sbmidi0 at 0x330 on isa
 <SoundBlaster MPU-401>

======== Finally, cat /dev/sndstat does:

VoxWare Sound Driver:3.0-beta-950506 (Sun Feb 5 14:38:12 EST 1995 freebsd-hackers@freefall.cdrom.com)
Config options: ffffffff

Installed drivers:
Type 2: SoundBlaster
Type 6: SoundBlaster16
Type 7: SB16 MIDI

Card config:
SoundBlaster at 0x220 irq 5 drq 1
SoundBlaster16 at 0x0 irq 65535 drq 5
SB16 MIDI at 0x330 irq 65535 drq 4294967295

Audio devices:
0: SoundBlaster 16 4.12

Synth devices:

Midi devices:
0: SoundBlaster 16 Midi

Timers:
0: System Timer

Mixers:
0: SoundBlaster

As far as I know, the EXCLUDEs refer to features I really don't have,
but perhaps "emulation" refers to driving the actual dev.  Ideas?
Thanks for any hint, esp. as to docs. for MM devs.

        Chuck Bacon -- crtb@capecod.net
                ABHOR SECRECY -- DEFEND PRIVACY