Date:      Mon, 14 Oct 1996 08:21:30 +0100 (MET)
From:      Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   ppp over pty/ttyp possible ?

Hi,

I was wondering if there is an easy way to run ppp over a pty/ttyp
pair in order to make some tests.

For those interested on which tests I want to do:

When I use ppp from home (14.4 modem) with telnet (and possibly
other apps, I haven't checked), the RTT is suspiciously close to
200 ms (within 10ms; I have a modified kernel which prints the
current RTT and bandwidth on every connection). As you can imagine,
typing this way is not the most pleasant thing in the world.

I suspect that something is triggering delayed acks, but don't know
what. The same does not occur with local connections, or even with
hosts a few hops apart.

The modem should add roughly 40ms each way (perhaps less, since
there is PRED1 compression enabled -- and the same happens with
VJ_COMP), so I really cannot tell where the delay comes from.

	Thanks
	Luigi
Luigi Rizzo                     Dip. di Ingegneria dell'Informazione
email: luigi@iet.unipi.it       Universita' di Pisa
tel: +39-50-568533              via Diotisalvi 2, 56126 PISA (Italy)
fax: +39-50-568522              http://www.iet.unipi.it/~luigi/