Date:      Sun, 16 Nov 1997 23:39:46 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Travis & AmberLee Brown <tabrown@sympatico.ca>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD for an ISP

On Sun, 16 Nov 1997, Travis & AmberLee Brown wrote:

> I just wanted to know what I would have to add to FreeBSD (if anything),
> to enable me to use it as an Internet Service Provider.  It will be a
> small outfit, probably about 5 incoming lines for now, and 1 main
> connection to the internet (probably through a Ethernet Cable Modem
> (500Kbps).  I know I will need hardware, but is there any software which
> must be purchased to accomplish this.

Not particularly.

> Please send me any information you have regarding this, plus any
> suggestions you might have.

I would suggest the following:

1.  Become intimately familiar with the resources available at
http://www.freebsd.org.  The experience of thousands is available there.
2.  Subscribe to the freebsd-isp mailing list.

> By the way after looking through your website and the information on
> FreeBSD I am very impressed with it, that's why I am considering it for
> my server.

That is a good thing to hear. :-)  Let us (or www@freebsd.org) know if
there is anything we can do to make the site more useful to you.